If you intend to lodge a furlough claim with the HMRC, then be sure to make a note of the following information:
Claims from 1 November 2020 must be submitted by 11:59pm 14 calendar days after the month you’re claiming for. If this time falls on the weekend or a bank holiday, then claims should be submitted on the next working day. Please see below for the full deadlines applying to claims:
|Claim for furlough days in||Claim must be submitted by|
|November 2020||14 December 2020|
|December 2020||14 January 2021|
|January 2021||15 February 2021|
|February 2021||15 March 2021|
|March 2021||14 April 2021|
If you want to delete a claim in the online service, you must do this within 72 hours of starting it.
What happens if I miss a deadline?
The HMRC may accept a claim made after the relevant deadline, if you can provide a reasonable excuse for failing to make the claim in time and as long as you claimed without delay after the excuse no longer applied. The HMRC have issued guidance which states that the following examples may amount to a reasonable excuse for missing a deadline:
- You had an unexpected stay in the hospital or had a serious or life-threatening illness (COVID-19 included) which prevented you from dealing with your claim and no one else could claim for you;
- A fire, flood or theft prevented you from making your claim;
- Delays relating to a disability you have prevented you from making your claim;
- Unpredictable postal delays prevented you from making your claim; or
- A HMRC error prevented you from making your claim.
For advice and support on furlough, please contact us on 0115 870 0150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.